HOME and Latest News
This league is for seniors 50 plus.
( Any combination of Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at 10 a.m. )
<20Jan2021> Letter to all members from the Deer Lodge Curling Club
The DLCC board of Directors have prepared a follow up letter regarding the plant shutdown for the remainder of the season. , click/tap on ... Letter
<15Jan2021> Antlers Curling Shutdown Update
A message from Bob Pattie, President Antlers Curling club :
"The purpose of this message is to inform everyone about where we stand. As you are aware, the Deer Lodge Curling Club announced that due to COVID-19, they were closing for the season. Like many small businesses, Deer Lodge has been hurt by the restrictions put in place to try and prevent the spread of COVID 19.
The income from ice rentals has been spent on taxes, heat and light, and the cost of putting in and maintaining the ice. In discussions with the club, I learned that by shutting down now and what they feel they can receive in grants, they are fairly confident that they will be able to open again next year. In regards to the Antlers, as we had paid Deer Lodge our ice rental for the season we have lost most of this money if not all. The ice rental fee is over 75% of our budget. What the Antlers still have in our accounts are our Banquet fees ($2O/banquet), the Curl MB fees, prize and trophy money.
Based on the above, I believe that we have at least $60 for curlers who paid for the full season and $40 for curlers who paid for half a season. At this time, this is an estimate on my part. Our executive has not met to finalize this due to the COVID 19 restrictions. I believe my estimates are reasonable. One thing I am looking at, is for curlers that return next season, we can take this credit off next fees for next year. For those who do not return, we could issue a cheque. By discounting next year’s fee, we save the cost of mailing out cheques.
As I mentioned before, when it is safe to do so , our executive will meet and finalize our numbers and plans.
We will get back to you when we have more information.”
<12Jan2021> Club Shutdown Announced on January 11
Our League received the following message from the Board of the Deer Lodge Curling Club :
We are writing you today to provide an update on the Deer Lodge Curling Club’s operations and the 2020-21 season. If you are not already aware, the current restrictions have been extended until January 22nd by the Province, which means at least another couple of weeks until we hear an update regarding recreational sports.
This has led the Board of Directors to make the difficult decision to shut down the ice plant and close the door on a potential return to play this season. We are all extremely disappointed, but ultimately feel this is in the best interest of the curling club long-term.
This decision was not made lightly, and we want to take this opportunity to explain some of the efforts that have been made and factors that went into this decision.
Over the past couple of months, the ice plant has been running on its lowest possible setting in order to maintain the ice surface and enable a quick turn-around should the Province lift restrictions. However, this does come at a cost and the club’s other ‘fixed’ expenses such as hydro, insurance, property taxes, etc. are all still being incurred. We were fortunate enough to apply for and receive two $5,000 bridge grants from the government, and we took advantage of some loans that came available as a result of the pandemic to help with cash flow and get us by.
We were hopeful that a January return-to-play would mean we could re-open the club with a 15-game schedule that would have taken us to the end of April. We also had created a 10-game season starting in mid-February in case that was an option. However, looking at recent trends and more importantly at the club’s cash position, we have come to the point where continuing the way we are will be a detriment to us being able to open the club in the future.
The unfortunate reality of the situation is that waiting for good news and holding out hope of a return to curling did not come without a cost. In an effort to be as transparent as possible, we want to let everyone know that the regular membership fees collected every year do not cover the operational costs to run the curling club. These differences are made-up through bar revenue and fundraising efforts primarily, and every year we try our best to break even. Without either of these important revenue streams this year and a number of teams choosing not to curl this season due to the pandemic, the club is in a very tight spot financially. That is the primary reason as to why we are making this difficult decision, and we felt that as the Board of Directors, we would be doing a disservice to the members by continuing to spend and borrow money for a chance to play again in the next few months. We are turning our attention long-term and want to put the club in the best position possible to re-open and be successful for years to come.
Please be assured that we are working diligently to pursue any financial assistance possible, and will look at creative fundraising opportunities between now and next September to help in any way possible. Some of those ideas include opening up the bar/lounge despite not being able to curl (if permitted), running online 50/50’s, or holding a can drive to raise some extra funds.
We are all extremely disappointed in having to make this announcement and we are sure that all our members will be as well. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please reach out to any of the following people:
Kris Keough firstname.lastname@example.org
Corey Thompson email@example.com
Scott Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org
Despite the on-ice activity being shut down, Willy Dogs will continue to operate out of the kitchen for the next few months until Will’s summer season is able to begin. He has been grateful for the support from members and the general community, but please continue to think of Will and his business over the next few months. He is available at 431-997-9455 or you can look him up on Skip the Dishes.
Thank you for understanding as we move forward with this tough decision. Please know that it was not made lightly, but made with the continued health of our club in mind. We will continue to update you all as changes or opportunities arise and are looking forward to the next time we can be together again in-person.
The Deer Lodge Curling Club Board of Directors "
<13Nov2020> Covid-19 Update for November 12 New Restrictions
Our League received the following message from the President of the Deer Lodge Curling Club :
"Hello Membership, I’m sure most of you have seen the new restrictions that have started today in Manitoba. What this means for the club is that our season pause is going to extend for at least four more weeks. First off, I want to reassure you that we are still committed to having a full season of games, which will extend into April. That being said, this is obviously a fluid situation and we may need to make more adjustments to our schedule if the ‘shut down’ lasts for longer than the four weeks we’ve been told at the moment. It is important that we are up front with our membership, so we will make sure to update you with any information we get as these weeks go by. Meanwhile Willy Dogs is still open for business. Contact him by calling 431-997-9455 or by looking him up on Skip the Dishes. Thanks you for your patience and understanding as we navigate these unprecedented times. We all look forward to getting back on the ice and resuming our season when it is safe to do so! If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me, Vice President Corey Thompson (dlccMembershipDraw@gmail.com), or Scott Peterson (email@example.com). Thanks for continuing to support our club and we will see you soon! Kris Keough President”
<30Oct2020> Antlers Curling Suspended
Just minutes after our Friday morning draw, the province of Manitoba moved the Winnipeg Health region to a COVID-19 response level. As a result the Deer Lodge Curling Club has issued the following statement :
"We are going to temporarily shut down the club starting immediately. We will resume curling in two weeks or as soon as Manitoba Health updates restrictions. We are making the decision to close now out of an abundance of caution for the health of our members. League play and schedule will resume where we have left off. We will make every available effort to complete the schedule as planned.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we go through this together. We hope that this will be a brief two week shut down. Please continue to look to our website and emails for any updates. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact the club”
<27Oct2020> Clarification On Sweeping Raised Rocks
Wayne Young, our Drawmaster, has addressed the confusion over the sweeping of raised rocks. Based on Curl canada documentation and contact with the Chief Umpire for Curl Canada, the Covid-19 guidelines within our league have been updated. Please click/tap on for the details ... Curling Rules
<17Oct2020> Standings Now Available
Now that curling has started the team standings will be made available for online review. Updates will be made about once weekly. To take a look, click/tap on ... Standings
<13Oct2020> Welcome Back
The Board of Directors would like to extend a welcome to all new and returning members to the Antlers Curling Club. We wish you good curling and fellowship throughout the 2020 – 2021 curling season. To see who is on the Board click/tap on ... Club Executive
Information has also been updated on this website re the rounds of play organized for each of the groups, to see click/tap on ... League Format
Please remember to bring your signed covid waiver form on your first draw.
<08Oct2020> Schedules & Teams
<06Oct2020> Curling Rules Updated
Covid-19 guidelines within our league have been updated. Please click/tap on ... Curling Rules
<03Oct2020> Curling Schedules
Deer Lodge has provided curling dates for our league play. Work is underway to schedule team play on those dates. To see the dates , click/tap on ... Schedules
<30Sep2020> Covid-19 Update re level Orange
CurlManitoba has advised us that Winnipeg moving to level Orange applies to public gatherings not already covered with their own orders. Sports such as curling are already covered by previous provisions and that allows us to reopen.
<10Sep2020> Curling Rules Updated
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic there are changes being made to ensure the health and safety of all curlers, click/tap on ... Curling Rules
<10Sep2020> Antlers Curling is a Go
Start dates for the 2010-21 season are Wednesday October 14th, Friday October 16, and Monday October 19th. The Club Championship games which were postponed from last spring will be arranged once we know the icing schedule. The Wind up will also be arranged for members from last season at a later date.
<29Jul2020> Curling Applications
Applications to curl in the Antlers League for the 2020-21 season are now available, click/tap on ... Registration Form
Click/Tap News Item to show/hide details
- Click/Tap at the top left of the screen either :